View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 PM   #754
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
did you find the weld spattered quite a bit? I find the weld thru primer does that so I try to go bare metal when welding unless just spotting through a hole for a spot welded look, then I just run the drill bit through the spot weld holes to get rid of the primer on the back up material before i weld. also, the 95 box may have a zinc (?) based dip on the metal so i usually sand that off with 50 grit first along the weld area. the 04 envoy that i am using parts from has the zinc (?) dip coating on it under the paint and if you don't get it off the weld spatters a lot. also the fumes are not good for you, the weld will usually leave some white smoke trails nearby that is a dead giveaway. we should be welding in well ventilated areas anyway. looks good. nice to have progress hey?
Not too bad. If I could reach it, I scraped the paint off the areas I was welding or use a bit like you stated. Not a fan of any fumes. When I'm welding, I have the garage door open and I turn on my horizontal Air Handling Unit which is near the garage door to positively pressurize the garage.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote