View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #766
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

ptc: Thanks for the input. I plan on being real slow and deliberate. The more grinding I have to do makes me focus more on making better welds!! I plan on making sure the top of the smooth dash is sufficiently far from the upper dash curve so I don't get mixed up in that area trying to grind.

Speaking of grinding...the roof has 59 holes drilled in it.

Decided this is a no weld day. Spent the morning fabricating filler panels for the holes that are to the left of the instrument panel. Name:  IMG_7192.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  41.5 KB

Put an ever so slight curve in each repair panel to match the dash curve. Did this by hitting the panel with a rubber mallet on top of a 3" pipe.
Name:  IMG_7202.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  42.1 KB

Also managed to get the smooth dash fitted using my 1/8" Cleco's. I still need to add some material where the top of the glove box was recessed into the dash. Basically, between the 2nd and 3rd Cleco's along the top of the smooth dash there is no support or anything to weld to. Was going to slice the glove box flange and try to flatten it. Looks like it will be smarter to simply add some additional material. I have some old thick welding rods that I have cleaned off that may do the trick.

Also need to trim another 1/8" off of the top to keep away from the dash curve.
Name:  IMG_7200.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  48.4 KB
Name:  IMG_7203.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  47.1 KB
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote