View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Mordachai
Fat Fendered Fleetside

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

I've gotten some great feedback so far. Thanks everyone.

It looks like I'll be making two sizes, one for 33"-35" range, and another for 38"-44" range. I'm sure there will be some overlap with size and Backspacing of tires and the lift set up your truck has.
I will make the smaller size first, as it seems it would be the more popular size, and I think chevy's outnumber GMC's too.

I should be able to make them for all year ranges of the 67-72, but the differences are a little confusing. the 67-68 chevy and 67-72 GMC style being the same , and then 69-72 chevy are the same. That is if I have the design differences for the years right, but I'm not sure. Only thing I know for sure is the 67 had no marker light...

As for hoods, well there's already a number of companies making them, and until the fenders start to pay back the investment for the molds, I'll only be thinking of fenders! lol.
Although I do have a mainly rust free, but straight 71 hood in the barn already...

And for doors, or blazer half doors rather, there are also companies making glass doors, both half doors and full doors which could be cut down. Door molds are even more complex than fender or hoods, so also, those will sit on the back burner in the side house in the back of the property so to speak.
While off topic, first thing I would prolly try to make for a blazer is a top, and probably the half cab with bulkhead style top.

Back on topic, I will wait another week or so for some more feedback, but I'm already getting a good idea. Then I'll start to open the fenders I have, and make molds. Once they molds are made they will take 7-10 days to fully cure (to minimize shrink and warp) then they can be pulled and cleaned/prepped for parts. Roughly 3 weeks after the molds are complete, I should be able to pull parts out as needed for years to come. I plan to have them available mid to late September. I'm already looking into how to ship these suckers too.

I've spent the last 3 days making a base to raise the old 50's Chicago windmill we have here(getting too old for that kind of work), and then I have a full load of large rocks being delivered to my house(for landscaping),all while I'm fixing/finishing a major garage repair/clean-up. I'm going to have an awesome project to break in our partially new garage!

I have a few members that are going to be my testers for the first parts, to help me in knowing if there's any tweaks needing to be made for mounting or fit.
Looks like I'm going to become a board vendor too! Woot Woot!

radiused fiberglass fender project for 67-72
Mordachai is offline   Reply With Quote