View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Duramax 6 speed MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
OK, If you know the EXACT percentage.....How many Duramax/S6-650 trucks were built? And how many Allison trucks? For each year?
Exact question I have. If 6lcummins is confident of 1%, let’s see the numbers and source of data. To count to present day isn’t accurate as 2006 was the last year a manual trans could be had in a GM truck. Any data should be based from 2001 to 2006.

GM 6 speeds are somewhat rare, but not totally unheard of. Manuals transmission availability, regardless of what trans model or if behind a gas or diesel, more depend on what region of the country you live in more than anything. Here in the West it is not uncommon to find a manual trans truck. In the Midwest and East manuals are rare in ANY vehicle. When I worked at GM most manual transmission shipments were typically to western states.

The beauty of getting a manual transmission in a GM truck was the fact manual shift transfercases were standard. No electric shift garbage transfercases behind manuals (except S10’s). Ford and Dodge coupled manual transmissions to electric shift transfercases for some odd reason. At least GM had the good sense not to do that.

In all reality, it is no big loss GM didn’t offer more 6 speeds behind the 8.1L or Dirtymax. In my opinion, GM would have been better off using a NV5600 like what was used in the Dodge. The ZF S6-650 has pretty miserable shift gates, stupid shift pattern and is noisy. Albeit, the ZF is darn near bullet proof. Part of the misery with the manuals in the GMT800 trucks was due to how GM has the clutch pedal geometry out of whack. The clutch works more like an on/off switch where launching the trucks smoothly is practically impossible. Every GMT800 manual trans truck I’ve driven is like that.

I guess you could call this ECSB truck with a ZF S6-650 equipped the 8.1L a somewhat rare truck. I bought this new in 2001 and still have it. It only has 56,000 miles on the clock today.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote