View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
sweepleader

Re: Clutch Master Cylinder/Slave Cylinder Question

I am guessing that you changed the master because of the disc brakes from the '86. So, does that part work the way it is supposed to?

The new master for the clutch must be the same bore size as the old master was. I am thinking it was 1 1/8". That is pretty big compared to modern stuff. If that is correct and the new clutch master is smaller, you will have to increase the fluid displacement some way. One way is to put in a larger bore master. The other way would be to change the leverage of the pedal on the master or the throwout lever on the slave. The pedal is easier to mess with, you would need to move the pushrod hole toward the pedal and away from the pedal pivot. This might also require moving the master on the firewall to keep the pushrod lined up with the master bore. None of this is easy.

The best way, even though it might be expensive is to get the right bore master. It might be possible to use a single cylinder master from the old truck or car line and bolt things together. I never tried that, but it could work.

Hopefully someone here will have a direct, inexpensive, solution for you.
Best of luck,
Happy trucking.
sweepleader is offline   Reply With Quote