View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #88
mvitale27

Re: Matt's 56 3600 4X4 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChevysRule View Post
The progress is looking good. Did you have to shorten the axles to get the correct track width? Or have you not gotten that far into it yet to check the tire clearance on the fenders? Just curious as I am wanting to do a 4x4 conversion on my project as well. Right now, I am still tearing it down to the frame and searching for parts (once I figure out what will work without too much modification.) Thanks....Jason
I am using 78 K20 3/4 Ton 8 lug axles. GM 10 bolt front and GM 14 bolt rear. I used my original 2" springs (they were painted and repacked) and the spring perches on the axles lined right up.

Track width is near perfect. I had the original rims mounted on the axles before I tore them down to rebuild. I had the fenders and bed on at that point and the wheels fit nicely in the fenders. I will not be using the original rims but I should be able to find a set that will fit just as good. Also, converting to 4X4 gives you so much tire to wheel well clearance that track width isnt much of an issue.

Matt's 3/4T 4X4 Build
mvitale27 is offline   Reply With Quote