View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Oil pressure driving me crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xs-style View Post
I could see where that problem could happen MarV. When I changed out the oil pump on this one, the screen was clogged with silicone. The p.o. had put a cheap chrome pan on it, and fixed it's poor fitment with what looked like a whole tube of rtv. But it's now got a new pump, Pick up tube and screen. You wouldn't think pressure would be an issue now.

Rich: mind explaining how you made that test cord?
I suspect the damage is done, and bearings are TOAST. ]The clogged screen robed the motor of oil and the poor little thing just ate it's self up. Remember the SBC oils from the TOP down,(up the back of the block, then forward along the cam / lifter annulus created when the 'cut-away' portion of the lifter is aligned with the annulus bore, then down to the top of the main saddle, and finally through the crank to the rod bearings,, but ONLY when the oil hole in the crank main journal is aligned with the groove in the upper 1/2 of the main bearing,, and finally the LAST thing to get oil is the front main and #1-2 rod journal)
Things have to be correct for all of that to stay flowing oil to the front rod bearings.
And none of that includes any of that silicone getting through the pickup and plugging passages in the block or crank.
At this point,, assuming ther eis no spun bearings, you 'MIGHT' get away with a set of bearings in the bottom end , but if you have are pulling the motor to do that FOR SURE cam bearings would be a HOGH priority in my book.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote