View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Questions about rear shocks, and drops

"Novice" tearing down a 71 Chevy SWB, 2WD, 402/400, rear leaf springs.

Appears the top rear shock mounting stud is welded onto the front hole of the bracket. Learn something new everyday

Unless I'm missing something, I'm pondering whether or not to cut these off before paint. That's because I'm leaning toward leaf springs with a 4" drop (2.5 in front).

If I recall, and am seeking confirmation or other, you can't use that spot in the bracket (i.e., existing stud), because it's too far forward for a 4" drop?

Also, if I recall, with that drop, you use the rear hole of the bracket instead, but you have to drill it out for the stud? That doesn't sound right, but.....

Any suggestions appreciated.............Also, just curious, you figure these are the original shocks? They're just yellow Monroe. 140K on the truck, but I've had the truck since 89, with 96K

Pictures are mostly meaningless:
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 09-11-2017 at 11:33 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote