View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #12
Kim57

Re: Help-Hood problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
how about some teflon rubbing blocks that keep the hood edges pulled in at the rear until clear of the cowl? some sort of T shaped affair on the hood that fits into a U shaped receptacle and when the hood is pulled forward it automatically slides free of the U. teflon is easily routered with a wood bit, or maybe a hood latch that latches as the hood is slid back instead of hinging down. I assume the hood slides back as it closes but the front of the hood remains up a bit, then when the hood is all the way back the front part slams down into the latch? what it the hood simply lays flat all the way back and latches horizontally? would that keep the hood from rubbing if it didn't hinge up at the front to clear the latch?
have you ever seen a car, like a '90's pontiac grand am, that had the seat belt attached to the door frame? on the top of the door and in the jamb there is that T bolt and bracket idea that meshes to keep those 2 parts intact should they be required in an accident. maybe something like that, with stock GM parts, could be used at the rear of your hood while using the tilt mechanism you already have. less time fabbing something up that way, if it doesn't work it was cheap to try. if it does work then you win.
anyway, just a few thoughts.
I've seen one tilt hood with an aftermarket kit and it had rubbing blocks to keep it from scratching the paint. The problem is the shape has the wider rear of the hood going into the narrower fender area.
I've got an idea to keep the hood from dropping in the rear when I raise the front. Just working out some minor details on it now.
I will update this thread if i get it to work.
Kim