View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
TxCajun

Re: What rear shocks for 4-5" rear drop?

I installed a 3" heavy-duty drop spring and I fabricated some new rear upper shock mounts following the same basic design that you used, but I did alter the design slightly to position the top of the shock a little further back and more upright.

After a little research, I chose to use Monroe Gas-Magnum 34904 shocks instead of the Monroe 32207 that are often suggested on this forum with that fabricated mount. The 34904 are very close in length dimensions to the 32207, but are a little beefier in that they have a larger diameter rod and cylinder. My truck has a tread plate rear bed floor that I estimate adds 250 to 300 pounds to the bed, so I think the additional damping may be helpful.
However, the shock-fully-compressed-length measurement on my truck is a little longer than what you mentioned for yours, so these 34904 shocks with a 11.875" compressed length work for me.

Monroe has a good website for determining shock dimensions: http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog/34904/

It appears that the often recommended front shock is Monroe 33033 which has a 14.63" extended length and a 10.13" compressed length.
TxCajun is offline   Reply With Quote