View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #28
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: An insect nearly burned down my 67 stepside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
A reputable shop would have called you and told you about the converter bearing, and you could have had it installed before they put in the front seal. If all they did was replace the front seal, how did they know about all the "burnt clutches"? Did they take the pan off? The modern day version of that is like when I took a computer in many years ago to get a card that could give me a USB port (new tech, at the time); the shop showed me that it came up with the "Blue Screen of Death". I told them to hook it up to better equipment and reboot, which worked. I got an estimate for $50 on the phone, and $100 when I got there for the installation. I don't think they liked me much after pointing out the difference in price, so went with the other problem so that I would have to pay for a reinstall of the system. Every business has these people.
Thanks Steeve I had them rebuild the front pump so they had to take off the pan to pull the lockup solenoid before they could pull the pump. he didn't really say the clutches were burnt and I wouldn't have believed him if he had because the fluid was bright red and I know the smell of burnt clutches, who don't right? You probably guessed it but they didn't get anymore of my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
700R4 transmissions will leak from the front seal when the cooler circuit is plugged or restricted...also if the cooler bypass valve is jammed with crud.... That's what was wrong with mine that caused it to overheat the fluid, but I never noticed any front seal leaks. Of course I was too busy fighting the fire to notice. Also the one that caught fire was my TH 350 I never got a chance to run the 700 except to drive it home from the POs about 15 miles and it had a six inch puddle of fluid on the floor the next morning.

As far as flushing the convertor...if they did it correctly they would have been able to show you the metallic content from inside the convertor...the system I use has a pleated coffee filter style element that catches the contaminants for easy identification.

As an aside, any metal fragments in the filter from the flushing means the convertor MUST be cut open and repaired or replaced.

Perhaps they have a similar system...

As far as "burnt clutches"...700R4's, even after they have been "beefed up" all suffer from clutch burn ups, band failures, sun shell failures...great for trans shops...not so great for end clients.

Anyone looking for a decent auto trans...go straight to a 4L80e...yes you will need a trans controller...but you will have a much stronger drive train...

I totally agree with you.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote