View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #7
**grumpy**

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

Cool avion!
In my profile page here, my bare burb is parked next to our old 63 avion.
We sold it not long after selling the burb, due to plant closure and job loss.

My wife has always wanted a airstream, but as you said, theyre crazy $$$$

Well, as the saying goes, right place at right time.
My wife was riding along with me one day in my work truck, which she shouldnt be doing..
Then I was out in BFE for a job, and hit a detour, taking me even farther off beaten path.
As Im going down this road, she yelled...LOOK!! Old old airstream camper.

So she begged me to turn around and drive past slow.
I gave in and did so.
All we could see is front, so couldnt tell how long it was etc. And as everyone knows, the shorter they are the more they cost.

She worked me over pretty good asking if Id knock on the door and inquire.
I gave in again and pulled in.
Sat with truck idling, waiting for dogs to come running. When none did, I slowly walked to front door, knocked and waited.
This lady answered and I asked if the camper may be forsale? As I could see then it was a 19' globetrotter of 60s vintage, but...
sadly neglected and sunk in ground.
She says..Well, actually, I just told my boyfriend I was going to sell it.
He didnt want her too because he used it to play his guitar and smoke weed!

Anyway, because it was her Ex's, and she didnt want to look at it, she'd sell.

So we looked at it pretty good. Great bones. very solid. No dents. Interior intact and solid. Just neglected and dirty everywhere.
So having spent years looking for a Bambi, Caravell, Globetrotter, I know what they sell for, even in bad bad shape.
So I ask: Any idea what you would want for it?
She says, well, ya know, it is old. I know these old things sell for alot of money, so if I sell it, Id have to have 2500....

I almost fell down. I had 600 on me and wifey wanted to give deposit right then.
Me being me, I said, Ok, let us talk it over and I'll call tomorrow.

So we leave, and the whole way down this road, Im getting the "eye"...lol
That was at 330pm. I dropped wifey at home, took truck back to shop, and called lady on way home.
I said, can I come at 6pm and get it? she said yep, if you have cash. No checks.
I said Cool, see ya at 6.
I get home, and wife is still salty. She has to work at 5, and I drop her at work.
Last thing she said as she gets out of burb is, Call her please!!!!

I left there, went to the ladys house, had to put my 99 burb in 4lo to unearth the camper, put tires held air, lights all worked...woohoo.

I drag it home, park it next to garage and go in house.

My 19yr old daughter goes to pick my wife up at 1030pm from work, and as she pulled in driveway, she said my wife SCREAMED OMG he bought it!

That was a week before Laborday weekend. Our 20th wedding annv was Sept.5th, Laborday weekend...
Score one for me!!!

She spent 10hrs a day cleaning it, and we camped at a 3day weekend carshow over laborday.
Then again at a weekend show the first weekend of Oct.

Its safely in indoor storage for winter now. No more outdoor storage or neglect for that little camper. She loves that thing.

Its not fully restored or even fully polished, but that will come.
But bought me at least a years worth of brownie points!

Sorry for the long post...lol