View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #19
NEWFISHER

Re: My 1950 dog hauling, trailer towing, daily driver Suburban

Haha "get to work"

had a late start, too many birthdays and the whole jump up ,crawl on the florr, lift this push that game yesterday was killing my back, ok no excuses.....I slept in. Got started on it about 10:30. Made rear brake lines, replaced all other rubber ones, packed and set bearings, installed new shoes, hardware and cyls up front. Rear stuff was new last week, I had to keep occupied on the lunch hours rebuilding the 10 bolt. Installed all of the zerk fittings on the upgraded steering tie rods and the backside of the spindles for the king pins. Bleed the brake system and replaced a blown brake light (the only one I have ). Pulled a tape across the front tires and checked the toe. Pulled a tape across the back axle to make sure it was squared to the frame and centered in the wheel openings. Adjusted the pinion at 3 degrees and burned in the saddles. Retorqued the u bolts front and rear and basically just put a hand on everything. Filled the rear diff with oil,adjusted the steering arm to center the wheel and backed out about 2pm. Took it for a 4 hour test drive and stop by all my buddies houses to show it off hehe

The 68 2x 1/2 ton 10 bolt worked out perfect. It has auto brake adjusters, ebrake cables that will adapt fairly easy and the same pinion yoke/ujoint as the original dana 45 that came out. Overall WMS is 1/2 wider,so 1/4 each side. I still have 3 1/4 inches from the tire to the fender lip.

Driving around was so different than before! The tapered bearing upgrade smoothed out any noise or vibration through the column. The old ball and socket steering joints were so loose I thought it was my box before the upgraded ball joint style tie rod upgrade, no steering box needed now. The old rr was 3:08, the new is 3:73 which will be perfect for the 700r4 swap, but until then its like a go cart! Zippy and plenty of power on the freeway.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote