View Single Post
Old 03-23-2017, 03:32 PM   #670
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Could not get my jig saw in due to the bed mount bracket so I resorted to using my multi-tool with metal cutting blades to finish the cut. Blades don't last too long but when you need it, it works well.
Name:  IMG_6857.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  47.8 KB
Name:  IMG_6860.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  44.6 KB

Prepared the edges of the step for welding by removing all the paint. Decided to spot weld the vertical edges of the sides rather than the horizontal step (factory) to save on body work. You can see what I'm talking about when you find the lone cleco holding the step.
Name:  IMG_6863.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  48.2 KB

It took a bit of persuasion and metal work to get the cab corner lined up at the back edge (just to the right of the 4th cleco, next photo). As a result, once I got to the end on the backside of the cab, I came up short. I will have to add a filler panel where I missed on the length.
Name:  IMG_6865.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  41.5 KB

If the flanging tool made the flange about 1/64th inch deeper, it would be better. To solve the problem, I had to hammer & dolly the area between the first and second cleco's to make the edge more flush. I'll continue this for the entire length of the flanged joint to get the panel more in line with the cab. As a result of reshaping the cab corners, my inside filler panels no longer fit. Next job will be to rework them slightly before they get welded in.
Name:  IMG_6869.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  38.3 KB
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote