View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #2523
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

My BIL Rick made it here today from Seattle with his younger brother, Brian, in tow. We did a bit of forensics work on the truck but didn't find anything worth reporting. Before Rick got here, I'd removed the threaded sump from the Elite Engineering catch can figuring it would be full of oil. (Still trying to account for the quart of oil that went missing on the trip.) However, there was barely a tablespoon in the bottom of the can. We searched around on the engine, but nothing jumped out as being the problem. The exhaust tips are not at all greasy so I don't think the engine is burning it. The biggest telltale is the oily film that's accumulating on the frame, suspension and floor pan. It's most evident on the upper A-arm bump stop where a droplet actually formed. But as to where it's coming from, no idea yet.

The other thing we did was cut open the GM filter/regulator. Again, nothing looked out of whack. Unwound the paper accordion element and there was no debris at all on it. Used the lathe to open the regulator but there was no obvious defect in the construction. The diaphragm, o-rings and etc. were all in good shape. So I'm at a loss as to why it failed. The remaining parts for the fuel system should arrive tomorrow, so I plan to finalize the plumbing and get it tested. Maybe even bust it off if it's willing. Stay tuned...
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote