View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #5
Chris_oz

Re: 1970 Longhorn “build” of sorts.

Hi again,

Disc brakes are on top of the list, up there with getting the A/C working for summer.
I am still in 2 minds on which way to go, I like the conversion stubs available, that allow the use of all C20 ball joints and tie rods, but C10 hubs, brakes and 5 lug hubs.

I like the look of the stock tyres and rims, but choice on 9.5 r 16.5" is VERY VERY limited out here.
Decent looking (non off road style) 8 lug wheels are like hens teeth, they are all the newer 20" spokes and bling wheels, which I hate.

I would love to fit a set of rallye style, with chrome trim rings and neat centre caps, I know they were never available on these trucks, but I just like the way they look.
I also like the Torque Thrust wheels, they are "retro" looking, but available in 17" dis, which seems to suit these trucks, to my eye anyway.

So before I commit to doing a disc brake conversion, I need to get it on the road (easier if stock) and decide if I want to keep the 8 lug or go with 5 lug to allow a greater wheel choice.

The cost is also a factor, the kit is $1300 au + delivery (about $500), for fronts, then redoing the read axles, then new rims and tyres ($3000 au minimum)

I have found a later C20 disc front end local, it is listed as an 1980's front end. Complete with cross member, springs etc.
I have no idea if any of it would be of any use, what parts cross over, It would be the easiest way to do it if it can be made to work, but I just have no idea on where to start to look for compatability of parts.

Chris
Chris_oz is offline   Reply With Quote