View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #125
silversnail86

Re: Complete T5 swap thread - one way to skin the cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep534 View Post
I Have a 1986 chevy LWB pickup with a 3 speed manual. It was originally a V6 and it has a hydraulic clutch with an external slave and fork. It has a tired 350 2barell in it now, compliments of the previous owner. I was told the 6 had some sort of mechanical failure. The idea of moving to a floor shift and getting a highway friendly gear seems like a good idea to me. This is my parts, building materials, running, hauling truck. so I don't want it to be down for more than a week or two. Preferably do the swap in a weekend. I looked at the TKO600 5 speed but 3000 is a little steep. I t is just a half ton pickup. I have not seen anybody talking about swapping transmissions in these square bodied trucks.

I guess I need to start shopping for a transmission.

archie =) =) =)
Hey Archie, I put a NWC t5 into my 86 LWB although mine was originally an auto. That just means you have a headstart. I hacked my trans up, was so much easier and less costly. All you should have to do is cut the throwout bearing retainer, input shaft, and change out the clutch for a 14 spline. I had to grind the clutch disk down where the splines are cause the clutch would not disengage. It took me 2 days while I was working. I took over a bay at the lube shop where I work and worked on it when there were no customers.

Also, my truck is about 330 hp and 400 lb/ft at the crank. I have had zero issues with the trans holding up. I kick the crap out of this thing on a regular basis, I should say I only have a open diff though. I have had mine in since September and I love it. My t5 is a 3.76 1st gear and it goes great with my 2.73 rear end. Runs about 1750 at 75 MPH. Also I used a large hole bellhousing. Keep in mind if you cant find the smaller hole bell that these trannies are cheap, if you pay more than 300 you got bent over and no reach around, so who cares if it wears out at 20k instead of 150k.
Good luck Buddy!

Last edited by silversnail86; 02-25-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
silversnail86 is offline   Reply With Quote