View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
62 Barnfind

Re: 57 Rear axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
There are a number of decent choices and the guys will no doubt throw out their favorites and the reasoning for each.

You are looking at four main factors, Width , lug bolt pattern, strength and cost. Width and strength being the main ones.

Some times it doesn't pay to buy what looks like a bargain rear axle if you then have to change gears to get the ratio you want, add a posi or locker because you want one, add disk brakes because you feel you need them with the LS or have it narrowed or have the lug bolt patterned because it doesn't fit the bolt pattern you have.

If you are staying six lug there are a couple of Chevy Colorado rears that are the right width (they come in at least three widths depending on the exact model and trim of the truck) have six lugs. have the desired gear ratio an usually have disk brakes. The buy in is a bit spendy as they are pretty new but you don't have to change things and spend more money.

Ford Explorer rears are real popular and the later ones have disks. Strong and not spendy but you have the 5 on 5-1/2 bolt pattern. Ford nine inch are as strong as all get out and popular but those usually require the mods to get them where you want an you can expend to spend far more changing them around than you paid for the rear.

Not sure if you are a civilian at Killeen or stationed at FT Hood. I was at Ft Hood, in 1969, met my wife in Belton and lived in McGregor for the first 8 years after we got married before moving back up here.
Thanks for the reply. I am retired and work at the Temple VA now. This is my third classic car project and I am trying to figure which way to go. I left the 10 bolt in my 62 and I wanted to do something else that is easier on the highway on this build.
My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote