View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
x ReAcT x

Front 10 Bolt Teardown / Rebuild PICTURES!

Alright so ive completely torn the truck apart, sent the body to the shop to get welded/repaired/repainted/redone, powdercoated the frame, and now im in the process to rebuild the entire truck from the ground up. First things first: AXLES. Now one of my biggest regrets of this build was not upgrading to a 14 FF in the rear and a Dana 60 in the front, oh well we live and we learn. Anyways if you all like pictures as much as me then this will be a pretty cool thread. My goal is to have at least one picture for every sentence. We will see how that goes. So this is what I started with, the original Corprate GM 10 Bolt. Started sanding it down to paint it with POR15 and then I realized why dont i just completely rebuild the axle before putting it back on the truck. I should have realized that taking a axle with 350,000 rough, muddy, destructive miles on it would have surprises once i got into the bearing and seals. I was right, that was the sad part. The grease on the bearings was a mix of grease, mud and whatever mother nature decided to throw into the concoction. The spindle had been pitted and showed signs of wear and so now it was time to do some seaching. I ended finding some surplus axles at www.colemans.com and decided to spend 395.00 for a new axle rather than buy all the parts for the original and take time to put it all back together.
Attached Images

10 Bolt Axle Rebuild Tutorial:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536415
x ReAcT x is offline   Reply With Quote