View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 PM   #19
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Anyone have a SWB fleet, 2WD leaf springs & rear sport bumper? Could use some he

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I think this is the deal on the rear bumper brackets...

The catalogs are wrong.

There are 2 styles of inner brackets shown in the pictures above.
The one with the top cut away and the thick metal reinforcement welded on is for 69-71 blazers. The cut away is needed to clear the last body rubber mount that is under the frame in that location. 72 blazers do not need this bracket because the frame was modified so that no inner bracket was needed. It’s very difficult to install a bumper bracket on a blazer because the forward hole is blocked by the gas tank so in 72 they fixed the clearance problem with the frame re design.

As seen in the above picture the regular bracket fits a 67 short wheel base leaf spring truck and all other trucks except blazers 69-71 4wd and 2wd. And all 4 wd tucks have the longer bracket with longer bolt hole spacing.
I think thE rear bolt hole is common to all the brackets which spaces the bracket from the frame.

I think the leaf spring frames on short wheel base trucks one of the rivets interferes with the bracket, drill a hole for clearance if required.
Yes, a rear shackle mount rivet is in the way on a SWB leaf spring truck, but not by a lot. I've seen some install them as is, but agree, cut or drill the bracket for a clean job.

If I understand you right, you're saying the longer bracket (with cut-away & repops include a reinforcement plate) fits 67-71 2wd & 4wd Blazers, and all 4WD trucks.....................Every other truck takes the "regular bracket". I think you're onto something and may have nailed it. Seems to me repop. brackets have nothing to do with coils and leaf springs. Regardless you're right, the "catalogs" are wrong.

Wouldn't be the first time vendors were confused by what was. I'm reminded of the hard line pump to carb on a BBC. They show A/C and non-AC. Unconfirmed, but it probably has nothing to do with A/C and everything to do with a return line to the fuel tank. Then there's the "A/C 402 has a return line to the fuel tank". Neat story

Nice job MDPotter. If the bumper looked right you're probably good. You figure the bumper mounting surfaces are plumb, parallel the frame or?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 02-01-2019 at 11:53 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote