View Single Post
Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Battery Gauge Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6772owner View Post
I have searched around on the forum, but couldnt find the specific answer I am looking for. I am trying to make the factory "battery" charging gauge functional. I have eliminated the voltage regulator and ran a wire from the alternator to the gauge, but before I hooked that wire up to the gauge I checked the cluster and their is constant power to both terminals right now. Where do I start with this thing? I am assuming that there should be switched power to one side and the wire from the alternator on the other side? Any suggestions?

Thanks
We need to clarify some things. Is your truck original or has someone hacked up the harness and re-wired a bunch of things?

Neonlarry's post no.5 explains how the ammeter should be wired and why the meter may not work.
In essence the ammeter is wired with one wire on the positive side going to the battery as shown in the diagram at the top center and connected at the junction block and the other side is connected to the alternator but not directly. IOW it is hooked to a positive source that the alternator is also connected to. It is shown at the bottom just above the horn and it connects to the three red wires. If you have wired the alternator and the battery directly to the ammeter then there's a good chance that the external shunt on the ammeter is burnt out and it will not read. See bolded red in your quote. That is what the 4 amp fuses are supposed to protect. They should be located in the front harness that runs just behind the radiator support and just over each headlight.
Below is the diagram Larry refers to. HTH

Name:  V8-engine-web.jpg
Views: 11013
Size:  97.8 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote