Thread: 1972 SWB Build
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #102
beaterku

Re: 1972 SWB Build

Spent some time out in the shop yesterday. I completely forgot to install the front sway bar. I had packed the box away. Opps. So I installed that and started in on modifying my stainless steel Inline Tube brake line kit. I made a short line that goes from the main line to the rear to the flex line down to the pumpkin. I flipped the tee around on the pumpkin do that it runs forwards instead of back like a typical 72. Since my crossmember is from a 69, it did not have provisions for the line like a typical 72. That went smoothly.

I started in on shortening the rear lines since I am running disc brakes out back. I cut them and started to flare them.... This is when it went south. I tried 3 times to flare the 3/16" line, and every time on the second process forming the flare, the material tore. It was a real head scratcher. I called Inline and they said there shouldn't be a problem using the flaring tool I have and gave me some pointers. Still didn't work. I talked to a family friend and he said that he has never been able to flare 3/16" stainless without tearing and he has the high $$$ Mastercool flaring tool. That made me feel a little better. The Eastwood tool had no problem with the 1/4" stainless line. Must be too much for the smaller 3/16". I was really hopping to do the whole system in stainless. I am going to pick up some nickel copper lines and make my own. They will be covered in the stainless spring so they will not stick out too much. That's how it goes sometimes.

I didn't do anything with the lines going to the prop valve yet. I had to order a 7/16 to 3/8 inverted flare adapter to adapter the rear line to the Wilwood prop valve. Once that is hear, I can figure out the exactly length it needs to be.

Attached Images

beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote