Thread: 1972 SWB Build
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 11:32 AM   #116
beaterku

Re: 1972 SWB Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
I installed a 2016 L96 out of a 3500 Express van with the 6L90E trans and no AFM/DOD. It has VVT, which I kept so I could let the engine adjust to keep the power in the sweet spot. It uses the E78 ECM that you're trying to stay away from, BUT... I did find a company that would build you a custom harness for that computer. Look up Modern Vintage Systems on Instagram or Facebook. They can give you a quote of what something like that would cost. I don't remember what he told me since that was over a year ago.

I got a brand new harness from GM (mine was damaged by the freight company, so the seller put in a claim and got me a new harness) that I wound up cutting down on my own, so I don't have any experience with them. I have seen some of their work and it appears to be good quality stuff. A few other places I looked at told me I'd need to buy an E38 ECM from them to go with their harness in order for their stuff to work. That's an option still, but it wasn't going to work for me, since I had no idea if it would control my trans.

I say all of that just so you don't have to rule out the E78 ECM setups. It won't narrow your search so much, and you could find a great deal because so many are trying to avoid them too.

It seems hit and miss on what L96's come with the E78. Seems some have it while others don't. I've talked to a couple tuners in town and they are trying to steer me towards E38's. I think I am being too picky when it comes to miles, I am trying to find something with less than 50k miles. I think if I ease up to 75k or less I will be just fine. That opens a lot of doors as well.

I looked through some of your threads and am concerned about some of the anomalies with the E78. It doesn't control electric fans like the E38 correct? Are there any other quirks you have found?

EDIT:Just talked to the guy who is going to tune it for me and he said run, not walk, away from the E78. He said it was designed from the new LT motors and adapted to the LS motors. Said it's a nightmare to turn for cams, heads, intake, TB swaps etc...

Last edited by beaterku; 09-06-2018 at 12:20 PM.
beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote