View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #514
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you are wanting to keep your torsion bars, then yes you will have to purchase the aftermarket dropped spindles specifically for converting a '60-'62 to disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC's 62 View Post
I have a 62 step side. Everything on it is stock except for the alternator thats been added. I would like to add disc brakes to the front for now and also lower it. I've read through all 21 pages and have come to the conclusion that for those of us with a 60-62 who want disc brakes, to keep our torsion bars and to lower it, our only option is aftermarket drop spindles and turning the torsion bars. Is this correct? Also thanks to everyone for all the great info on here.
Having 6 lug disc brakes on the front is simply a matter of purchasing the aftermarket 6 lug rotors. bolting on disc brake spindles is simply a matter of changing the ball joints and bolting them on. It may be possible to not change the balljoints these days as I believe there are spindles specifically for the '63-'70 trucks. Back when I starting upgrading to disc brakes, there was no such thing as dropped spindles.

As for converting your rear to disc brakes, that is not easily done with a '63 12 bolt as the backing plates are pressed onto the axle tubes. That is why my rear disc brake brackets are designed to be used on the '64-'87 truck 10 and 12 bolt differentials. There is nothing on a '63 12 bolt to bolt the brackets to. If at some time during the past 55 years, the differential has been changed to a '64 and newer differential, you are in luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by botoepfer View Post
So after I read almost the complete 17 pages , Is the six lug front conversion viable without a cross member swap?

I have a 1963 I would at least like to add power front disc brakes and more over 4 wheel power disc brakes,

but the question remains is the aliment issue resolved and am I clear on what parts I need to hunt up

Thanks Happy new year
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote