View Single Post
Old 02-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #1382
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Got one of the stands built. Started out just cutting the steel to dimension. I had a brand new blade for my band saw. Started out great but within about 6 cuts it was getting noticeably slower. Got to the next to last cut and it just wouldn't go anymore. Very frustrating. Here's my saw...

It's not harbor freight, but not really much different. I did a bunch of research online about what people were using for blades, asked a couple friends what they use and ordered a couple different bi-metal type blades for it. Then went to Menards and bought a 24 tpi blade to try. I found out the speed is variable on the saw. Didn't realize that, so I slowed it down to the slowest speed. So far so good.

The stands I built using a 2x4" piece across the top. It's 52" long, which is a lot wider than I need for the Jimmy but about the frame width of my 2003 Yukon. Thinking ahead. The legs are 2' long 2x2" tubing. It's all 3/16" thick. I cut the legs at a 110* angle. It makes the base about 18" apart on center. The cross strap is just some scrap I had around. I will be adding some other cross pieces from the legs to the top or gussets. I used my MIG welder and it did alright, decent penetration. I got better as I went along. Not the prettiest welds but should be strong.

This was the nerve racking part. Lifting the front and hoping the rear jack stands didn't tip. But I took my time to make sure the body didn't swing when it came off the front stands. My hand was shaking a bit while pumping that jack though. Not gonna lie. The sphincter pucker factor was high.

I used a couple chunks of wood 2x4 between the frame and stand so the transmission didn't hit.

Still need to get the other piece of 2x4 tubing for the second stand. But it should be resting on it next weekend and I'll feel a little safer working on and under it.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote