Thread: Tool box hobby
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Re: Tool box hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Interesting. I think I like the Proto box more than the Snap On. If the tools that came in the Proto are in good shape they would probably bring a good price by themselves.
No date code on any of the tools. Nearest I can put the dates on them is '71/2 to '75. All in decent shape with only light surface rust. Should clean up very nicely with a little bit of steel wool. It would be great if the tools would come real close to paying for the SO box, so I could justify hanging on to it until something comes along that I want to trade up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
I'd like to know how to fix the drawer sliders on the early Snapon boxes if you can share. I have a few drawers that are difficult and grind.
I'd probably try to get rid of the misspelled shotgun bit and clean them up and mechanically fix, but not restore cosmetically (as some call it). I like my old junk to work, but not look new. If I wanted new, I'd buy new. Some junk I wipe down w/ phosphoric acid to remove and treat rust but leave paint.
Do a little googling using the terms drawer removal and hacksaw blade, should take you over to Garagejournal.com. There you will find everything there is to know about rehabbing older SO boxes and drawer slides.

I can see the beauty in a fully restored gem, but I don't have that kind of time. The Proto is going to get a good cleaning to remove dirt, grease, and surface rust. I MAY have to paint the outside of the lid, depending on how much paint is gone with that surface rust. Other than that, you and I are thinking the same. The SO will need more work, as it's rust issue is a little more severe. Definitely will need to get rid of the old owner's markings. Still won't be a full resto, though.

Turns out the Proto box is a 1978 model. That locks it in to before Stanley bought the brand from Ingersoll Rand, so that's good. Found a key in the box while I was cleaning it out, got the broken key extracted from the lock, lubed it, and the box locks now, so that's progress.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote