View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #36
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

The Atlas 6 is kind of married to a 4l60/65e although there is some adapters to use other things like a 5 speed manual and a Chevy SB pattern but it's kind of odd since the Atlas 6 mounts the starter about mid block on the drivers side, not at under pan level on the passenger side as is more common. This eliminates anything with a tight bell housing like a 700r4 although there are guys running 4l80s.

For now I'm planning on a built up 4l60e but hope once the pricing calms down that I'll move to a 6l80e and a paddle shifter, I'm kind of planning this with that in mind. I'll be moving it to a floor shift (you still need a shifter for P-N-R-D even with a paddle shifter), putting in a shorter tilt column (with a spacer the size of the paddle shifter), and a TCU that can do both (Compu-shift). I won't see more than about mid 400s for hp without boost so a built 4l60e should be fine. 6l80s are in the $4-5000 range because there just aren't many cores out there yet, but then again 4 speed OD transmissions were that way when they were a new thing. My '91 Suburban has a 4l80e in it and the core charge on one of those used to be $1500-2000 now you can buy one and they don't even want your core.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote