View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
dsraven

Re: POR-15 Rust Preventative

I redid a 79 ford 4x4 for a friend. it was always noisy in the cab. he was a big outdoors kinda guy and used his truck like a real truck. not abused but really used. when he was done a hunting or offroad trip he just used the garden hose or the car wash inside on the floors. needless to say we redid the floors and after we epoxied the whole truck in the process of rebuilding. when it was all painted and cured he had the box and the floor, from the pedals all the way around to below the back window, sprayed with rhino liner. it was laid in on the floor so thick the floor was smooth-no ribs showing. after that the truck was waaaay quieter and easy to spray the mud out. he loved it. the box did start to show some colour fade over time though, just something to consider. also, I think the spray liner in a can from the hardware store is not even close to the real box liner that is a chemical reaction (I assume because of the heat, or maybe they cook it?) and that is why the paint MUST be cured before application-it gets quite hot during the process.
footstomp is right, in my opinion. if you don't take the whole truck apart and blast every piece then you just gotta be smart and do what you can with what you got. you can't reach everything. epoxy sticks like s@$t to a blanket so it will stop any spots from getting bigger. attention to detail will need to be a priority on those sort of areas where you can't get behind a cross member overlap etc. spray more on in those areas or use a brush or another method like the finger bad. I have seen por15 chip off a lower door area so on a frame it may suffer from rock chips (at least in Calgary it would, any time of the year)
footstomper, I sent you a pm the other day, did you get it?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote