View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Mattman2010

Re: 1960 C60 Dump Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabama mike View Post
That 6 will pull the truck around fine, its all about gearing in these old trucks, I have a 65 with a 292 6cyl and it runs great and will carry a heck of a load, but it will only run about 55 top speed, so even if you swapped a 350 in the truck your top end will be limited to what gears you have in the diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
If the engine runs great , IMO , I would leave it alone. It may be the 261 big six instead of the smaller 235 6, both with excellent reliability records. This truck GVW is the limiting factor on who much you can carry or pull. Hauling grain is what it is set up to do, and should able to do just fine with regular routine maintenance. Worry about the brake system first. As Alabama Mike said, these trucks are generally geared for 55 mph, which would be fine around town and secondary roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Nice truck and that 6-Cylinder Engine wouldn't bother me one bit. Could very well be a 261 as mentioned above.

Bill
This is exactly why I like to post things on the web. I understand all of the things you all stated but when I was thinking about it I didnt really thing about all of that and so swapping in the 350 wouldnt really help. I know the 261 is fine, it gets the truck where it needs to go. Plus I would rather be able to use the truck than have it torn down and just setting there. Plan is to get the truck running the way it sets. Brakes and then I will probably do some maintenance to the motor as well. Spark plugs, wires and maybe check the points (I think this uses points right?). It will probably be a while till I get around to working on this thing tho as my 84 Crew cab is taking up most of the room in the shop and so I need to at least start putting that back together and then I should be able to fix this truck up. I will keep this updated tho!

1984 K30 CC Dually - "The Tank"
12V Cummins/Nv4500/Np205/D60/D70HD 4" lift & 37's
Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Mattman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote