Thread: 1954 GMC swap
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
e015475

Re: 1954 GMC swap

The hood is of course different, but I think you'll find that difference extends into the core support and radiator.

The core support on a Chevy is squared using two rods to cross brace it. The core support on a GMC doesn't have these rods, but instead relies on a 'bridge' over the top of the radiator to hold the core support square.

The radiator is different too. On a GMC the radiator fits further into the core support, and to clear the top the radiator, the filler cap is on an elbow. For a Chevrolet, the filler cap is on the top of the radiator. All the sheet metal that supports the hood latch is different too. I think the latch itself, the pin and the safety catch are the same between the two.

I think it might even goes further than the radiator and the support. The front crossmember on the frame that holds the radiator support itself is different between a GMC and a Chevy. I don't know if a Chevy frame will take a GMC radiator support - might be worth comparing the two trucks you have.

As far as I can tell, the inner fenders are the same between a GMC and a Chevy
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote