View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #17
MDPotter

Re: 1964 C10 Daily Driver/Restomod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
Nice! I've been spraying UV cured clear (and sealer) for the last few years and it literally transformed my business (guitar manufacturing). I've been using Hentzen UV poly and I love it. The name of the game for us in clear is build so I'm not as concrerned about having it lay down perfect with out orange peel (almost impossible since we can't spray one side at a time, we're always dealing with a 3D object with full paint coverage).

I've found that 2k urethane sprays a bit thinner and typically will lay down a little nicer than UV Poly but the speed and ability to cure runs and sags thru the entire material is so nice.

I'd say maybe consider either going up in tip size or reduce slightly. Sometimes it seems counterintuitive but I found when I was getting runs, reducing the material to flow out or spray thinner let me put LESS material on and get better coverage at the same time.

Guitars are also tricky because the really good guns are meant for spraying wide patterns so when you narrow down to work on something smaller, it's really hard to balance the flow with out it having one heavy wet path.
I was able to spray the 2nd fender without any runs (on the outside anyway) and I've found that I was moving too slow and I have to be aware of double coverage. The concave surfaces are tough too - the inside corners of the cab came out really rough but I'm looking forward to having everything painted in the next month or so and put it together finally.
MDPotter is offline   Reply With Quote