Thread: 47-55.1 Ground Clearance
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #1
Root2812

Ground Clearance

I need some advice and opinions about my 1950 with a stock frame but custom everything else. I know some of you guys have pretty low static ride heights or you set your ride heights on your air ride system. I am still working on my project so its not drivable, in fact it still just a chassis with a cab on the floor next to it. I have my LS engine, 4l60e, and full suspension installed. I bolted some 26 inch diameter wheels on for rollers and found the truck is really low. I could go with a bigger wheel and tire combo to gain some height but I am hoping to not have to rely on that.

For reference, I have a Fat Man fabrications mustang II with standard spindles and a TCI rear leaf spring kit.

I have found that my ground clearance is less than I would have expected. I have 6.5 inches of clearance at the transmission pan and 7 inches at the running board. I hate that my tranny is the lowest point. I am looking to swap to the shallow trans pan instead of the deep one I have. That will gain me 3/4inch more transmission clearance.

I also did come googleing and found that I still have more clearance than a modern Camaro or Mustang but the trans makes me nervous. What ground clearances are you guys running and how often do you bottom out? Does anyone know of a shallow trans pan that's either stronger steel or armored? I could make a skid plate but then I would lose even more clearance to the ground.

Thanks