View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #133
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyfish View Post
My fuel gauge doesn't move and it is below the empty mark. I pulled the resistor from the back of the fuel gauge and it doesn't give any readings with the multi-meter. I also checked the printed circuit and it looks like it is in pretty good shape. Would the resistor cause the gauge to not move at all? Could the fuel gauge just not be receiving voltage? The rest of the lights in the instrument panel work but the brake light only lights up when the engine is starting. The fuel gauge doesn't move though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Typically if the circuit board is good and the wiring to the circuit board, the temp gauge will work. The #3 wire on the cluster connector is a pink wire that feed battery voltage to the temp and fuel gauge. The power splits in the circuit board. If you have a good working temp gauge then your power is good up to the connector.

I would take a good look at the back of the circuit board and make sure the path for power is not burnt. You can use a test light and check for power right at the gauge itself.

The resistor should show some resistance. You should get around 85/90 ohms from a good working resistor. If not, replace it and see what happens.

Hope this helps,

Let me know,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C