View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
Jesse B.

Re: Calling all 700R4 Experts!

I installed a 700R4 in my 69. You have the wrong TV setup and as a result, you may be burning up your tranny. The 700R4 cable that you hooked up to your carb does not serve the same purpose as the cable on a TH350 or 400 and so it cannot be installed in the same manner. The position and geometry is all wrong. Generally speaking, the range of motion on the cable must match the range of motion on your carb. Your current set up does not do that. If it does not, your tranny is not getting proper feedback from the carb. There is no shortage of websites that discuss this issue. Many folks have burned up 700R4s in the same way. I suggest you stop driving your truck immediately and install the correct 700R4 TV linkage on your carb. I used the brackets/linkage from a company with the initials BTO. (I don't know if I can say the actual name.) It bolts directly onto your existing carb and restores correct geometry so that the carb conveys accurate information to the tranny.

I also suggest you hook up the lock up. Driving around in 4th with no lock up will generate extreme amounts of heat on the freeway and can also burn up your tranny.
Jesse B. is offline   Reply With Quote