Thread: Corvairs
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Re: Corvairs

I really like the Corvairs. GM always stuck their neck out with new ideas more than the others and these are just one example. This is one big reason I became a Bowtie Man and grew into a total GM fan. My dad had a '64 when I first started driving. Smooth and quite! A friend's dad was into them heavily even in the early-70s. AACA voted them in as classics before their time. Good ole Waldo Davis showed me what restoration was all about. He'd have the numbers correctly stenciled onto the shroud pieces and just totally meticulous about every nitpickin' detail, tearing them down to bones. I had a '56 VW bug for my first car and that ended up fully restored by the time I was 20. I bought a '66 VW Bus about then and he gave me a first year Corvair engine to do a swap (which never happened). Those were 85hp, lowest, but he said had the most "beef" for being durable in the bus. I also have a friend, Olblue60's old longtime friend, who is serious into them. He races a Yenko at the local SCCA track (Summit Point, WVA). I'd like to have one.

Back when I was doing a lot of picture threads I did one I'm 99% sure was titled, "Pic Thread: Corvairs", but danged if I can find it. I did them all that way, if not maybe spelling "picture" out on some. Couldn't find either. But I did find this one from a while back:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad%3A+Corvairs

Also, a guy up the rod from me had a black later Corvair with the small block mid-engine conversion for sale 10 years or more back. I wanted that thing bad. It was black and I believe it had Vette rallyes on it.

I see an LS zombie managed to find his way in here with a very helpful post

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-04-2016 at 08:44 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote