View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 11:31 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Timing chain, is this on purpose or a fluke?

71 402 block stock

I had a bit of trouble lining up the chain, nothing major. First time I thought it was right I noticed the slack was uneven between gears. Couldn't tell you, probably a link off. Somehow the bolts lined up anyway. "Damn my eyes", I probably missed something obvious. At least I saw it was wrong.

Second time I noticed how one link is clear instead of gray. Thought huh, I'll match it up to the timing tooth, see what happens. Dead-on, went right on and the slack is even. That a fluke or on purpose? Course there were no instructions. Might be a good thing (YIKES), instructions these days, what a disaster.

On the side;

Not sure how you guys KNOW the sprocket marks are lined up perfectly. Best I can tell is employ the eye test. Level is happy, but I don't put much stock in a torpedo level for this purpose. In other words, there's a little slop when you turn the crank & cam individually. What might be plumb to one guy may differ the next. Close is good enough maybe, can't really say.

I baked the crank sprocket with butter It went on, though not quite all the way. So I tapped it a pinch with a hammer and thought nope, didn't wanna. Not sure cooking a sprocket is a wise idea anyway, so I tossed it. Second time I used a crank sprocket tool with a harmonic balancer install kit, and high pressure (i.e., anti-seize) lube. Went on like butter.

Bought new crank bolts from ARP. Their instructions say torque @ 25 ft. lbs. and use "ARP anti-seize lube". Thought that was odd. From what I've read you should use blue lock-tite (the opposite), though torque at 20 ft. lbs. Unless someone suggests otherwise, think I'll run with the latter.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 07-02-2018 at 12:13 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote