View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 03:22 AM   #14
Ironangel

Re: Anybody build a 427 with a 454 block & 396 crank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I would go full roller. Simply for the fact that today's common part house available oils do not support flat tappet cams.

This way you can run cheaper oil with high reliability, and after a few years the savings would be eaten up by higher cost oils to make a high performance or higher tappet pressure on the cam lobes last with the needed zinc.

I dont know if this is true but supposedly VR1 racing has less zinc now, and diesel oil is almost down to modern oil standards. Which won't support a flat tappet can at the spring pressures nessacary to turn a BBC to 7000rpm.
Wanted to go full roller but my pension would only cover an old school bullet proof budget build. JE custom forged closed chamber pistons with 39cc domes pushed the CR into the 13's...Cost of oil is nil compared to 110 octane rocket fuel! I took the 454 truck rods and reworked them to be floaters and balanced them with the pistons to weigh 1251 grams each, dead nuts. Then I balanced that 396 crank to within .08 grams to insure minimal work for the Scat internal balanced 8" damper...I get the Weiand 7620 oval port intake next week to complete the build. I'm hoping to break into the low 12's maybe high 11's with a 4:56 12-bolt Posi and built 350 "Super Turbo"...Thanks for commenting, here's some eye candy!
Attached Images

71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"

Last edited by Ironangel; 01-28-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote