View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
rfmaster

Re: *** 400/406 sbc BUILDERS PLEASE READ ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BAD65 View Post
Is this a good deal for 6" SCAT RODS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCAT-SBC-CHE...b0c1f0&vxp=mtr
It is OK deal, but in your case what you need is a complete balanced rotating assembly. In other words - you'll need a crank with 3.750 stroke, rods (5.7 or 6.0"), matching thick mains bearings bearings, matching pistons (compression height) to accommodate rod length and crank, piston rings, balancer, and a flex plate. I would strongly recommend that you contact skipwhite for a complete 406 kit - you'll be much further along (money wise) vs. trying to piece it together. From personal experience SW supplied me with 5 engine rotating assemblies for my various engine builds over the last couple of years. All kits used quality parts and I have nothing but good experience with SW. Keep in mind that most machine shops will charge $200 to $250 for balancing rotating assembly (SoCal prices). 400 CID engine is externally balanced engine and must be balanced. By the time you throw in shipping charges for sourcing the rest of the parts you'll be in a hole vs. a complete kit. Before hand take your 400 block to the machine shop that you can work with and make sure that there are no block issues. 400 CID blocks should be checked for cracks due to past overheating (who knows what this engine seen in the last 30+ years). Have them check bore size and determine bore oversize. Deck should be squared and deck height must be established - this way you can figure out CR depending on the heads cc you're planning to use. Mains alignment should be checked and rod clearance should be checked. Rod clearancing is common on 383 builds, but may not be needed on the 400 block, but I always trial fit my rotating assemblies. Do all block checks first before going for rotating kit. Custom engine building is all about checks, measurements and verifications - you're not slapping together OE parts based engine!

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote