Old 05-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #5950
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Wade View Post
I am in for this swap!
Me Too!

so one of the reasons I got such a great deal on this combo is because the owner did not know the VIN and could not tell me that information (knowing the VIN was important to me because I did not see all these parts come out of the same vehicle so I wanted to run a VIN checker to find out what year this was off of and confirm it was a RWD originally, etc.)

so off to Pick N Pull I went and bought just the blue connector for the computer and a Obi-Wan Kenobi port so that we could make ourselves a bench harness, which for us Carburetor Generation is just a cable that will connect the car computer aka the PCM (while out of the car) to our laptop so that we can get some information off of it. I also bought a generic universal 12 volt 1.5 Amp AC adapter to power up the PCM off the car.

while we wait on our $300 dollar HP MPVI2 Tuner to arrive we are going to try to get the VIN at least off of this PCM using an ELM 327 Interface (serial dongle that plugs into a cars OBD2 on one end and the USB port on your laptop on the other end)

NOTE: you can pull some information off of the PCM this way and clear the error codes, but you CAN NOT program it with this hack.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-26-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote