View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:34 PM   #139
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: 1973 K20 Build Thread

Okay, so initially I "only" wanted to replace the ball joints. However, after removing the driver's side axle shaft and witnessing the gunk on the axle housing, something obviously was not right. I had also noticed some seepage where the diff housing on the driver side meets the axle housing tube but I had hoped it was just leaking power steering fluid. I drained the fluid, and was impressed by the condition of the 4.10 gears. Be sure to take note of the exact position and side of the bearing caps because they must go back on the same way. After removing them, you will likely need a pry bar to bring out the ring an pinion. Be careful not to damage any teeth...

Name:  IMG_1460.jpg
Views: 5617
Size:  56.8 KB

For the most part, the passenger side seal held up very well, the spring around the rubber was in good shape, but some rust was evident on the top...

Name:  IMG_1469.jpg
Views: 5560
Size:  52.2 KB

However, the driver side seal was toast. The circular spring was broken. A catastrophe waiting to happen. You can see it here...

Name:  IMG_1475.jpg
Views: 5447
Size:  53.2 KB

On the passenger side, you can push in the seal with the axle shaft. The driver side is a little more challenging, so I "fabbed" up a seal pusher with the indispensable hydraulic jack handle, some masking tape, and a seal installer set I rented from O'reilly's...

Name:  IMG_1479.JPG
Views: 5455
Size:  55.0 KB

I then cleaned the axle housing tubes by first wadding up a paper shop towel that I soaked with DEP industrial degreaser and pushed it through each of the tubes with the jack handle tool. Check out the mess...

Name:  IMG_1480.jpg
Views: 5432
Size:  69.4 KB

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 06-01-2011 at 12:05 AM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote