View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 11:16 PM   #185
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

It starts - sorta.

A precautionary tale - you can't always believe what you read on the internet.

Looked up the image of the Corvette fuel pressure regulator on the web and plumbed it the way it showed.

I had lots of fuel pressure and volume, but no pressure at the rail. Back to the internet and I'll be damned if there isn't several different diagrams on how to plumb the Corvette regulator, and about half of them are wrong! I picked the wrong one, of course. I rented a fuel pressure tester from Autozone - that thing didn't work either. It would read pressure on my pickup (same engine) but when I added the 90 degree adapter so I could test the rail on the '49 - nothing. Took the Schrader valves out - still nothing. ARGH! Finally pulled the alternator so I didn't have to use the adapter and it showed I have pressure at the rail. Finally

Got the regulator plumbed correctly now. Tried to start and it would run for several seconds before it died, like the VATS hadn't been deleted. I'd paid to have the VATS edited out of the computer five years ago when I had the harness built (yep, same guy who mis-wired the ground). Yanked out the PCM and took it to the tuner, and he confirmed the VATS was still in there. $100 and ten minutes at the tuner had the VATS deleted and the truck PCM modified to turn on the electric cooling fan at 195F. Should be ok to allow me to limp down to the tuner's shop

When it did fire for a few seconds, it wasn't running very well and several of the header primaries were cold. I bought the injectors used and they'd been sitting for more than five years and chances are they were pretty sticky. A local fuel injection service gave them an ultrasonic bath, replaced the internal filters and orings, then calibrated them so they all flowed the same.

Raining and nasty here in Phoenix. Saturday looks like the next opportunity to push it outside and try again to fire it up
e015475 is online now   Reply With Quote