View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:38 PM   #1211
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s English 2001 S10 Extra Cab 4.3 V6 Truck

Funny how life and distractions can get in the way of getting small jobs done.

The vinyl for the dash did not really settle r smoothen out this week.

Yesterday I brought in some ply to work on indoors, 4-6’C is not ideal, and the damp chill in the air sucks too.

So plan B was hatched for the vinyl.

That seemed to work a bit better.

Laying out the two pieces that needed covering on my just big enough piece of material.

Cut off the piece for the instrument surround.

Industrial strength contact adhesive goes off in 2 minutes, the contact and pray.

Glue and then staples to Doubly secure the rear, while adding some tension.

And not too bad, the curves mean a load of pie0cuts to keep the tension low and getting full coverage of the cowl piece.

I think it is good enough..

Of course any wise arses are most welcome to make me some new parts and cover them, and I will happily fit them.

Next up was coffee and ginger nuts, a good way to procrastinate on the job that had me petrified, in order to scrape together my slipping courage.

So I laid a bed sheet over the plywood, stapled the one end down with multiple staples (thanks @nickwheeler for the machine) and tensioned it all and stapled the other end.

Then laid the vinyl down and stapled both ends down.

This way , I was effectively removing one risk factor though it would probably not help much.

Still, not moving, meant I was going to risk laying the dashboard down alone.

I also practiced laying it down a few times, in case that helped when the glue was ready.

With the glue down on both surfaces, I managed to mate the two surfaces, and it worked.

Some pressure to ensure maximum contact and adhesion.

More pie cuts and stretching, stapling to secure it all.

Eventually…….

Next job will be to cut the holes through for all the switches and then to fix it in the car.

So not a lot done, but more done than if I had sat watching telly all the time.

Closer and closer to the finish line.

Weekend over.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote