View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #191
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: 1973 K20 Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post
Question! Why did you stick with drums and not go to discs?
Good question. I really wanted discs and will eventually put discs in the rear. The main reasons I didn't do that right now are:

1) I REALLY want to get this thing on the road NOW.
2) I NEED a working mechanical e-brake. Not only to pass inspection, but more importantly because I want one for safety reasons. I don't want to be worried about finding someone to pass inspection for me illegally, either.
3) I don't want to pay the expensive price for the Cadillac calipers with the e-brake.
4) To put it plainly, the drums are more than adequate for these trucks, especially for my intents and purposes. I'm only going to use this truck as a work truck on the street. Too many people feel the disc upgrade is necessary, but it really isn't.

All this being said, I would eventually like to install rear discs. I believe that I can find a way using the aftermarket calipers with the built-in e-brake. Speedway sells these calipers as do several other aftermarket companies. At this point I refuse to accept the fact that the only option (aside from the t-case brake or line-locs) is the Eldorado calipers. So I will continue to research until I can build this thing the right way.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote