Thread: pdx-sanity66
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #513
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

I realized today that in order to proceed I need to be able to move the truck a little easier than how it is in its current condition which is no steering control.
Well, I had the manual gear on and connected to the drag link but I had no steering wheel to get the wheels going where I needed them to go to get Sanity in and out of the garage as needed. I had all the parts needed to get going: Power steering gear all cleaned up and painted, Capt. Fab's adapter plate, new Moog idler arm, etc., etc. First I swapped out the idler arm, I drove over to O'Reilly's and borrowed one of their pitman are pullers. They're less than a mile away and I think it's great when you need that one tool that you might not need that often.
Today I used the template with Capt.'s kit and got the holed aligned and drilled in the frame. You've got a real nice kit Capt. If anyone reading this thread needs one of these for your truck I highly recommend it. I shot a little paint in the drilled holes to aid in rust prevention, and painted the adapter plate with some Eastwood's extreme chassis black, what I've used on most of the chassis parts I've painted black. Saturday, it will be ready to assemble.
I also need to start getting my Camaro tilt column mocked up and the first step is I need to get the bracket that holds the peddle assemblies and the steering column to the underside of the dash.
I had already removed the clutch peddle assembly, so I disassembled the brake peddle components, cleaned the parts with some mineral spirits and then bead blasted them. That blaster is the best toy I've got. It just saves me tones of time. They are now ready for some epoxy primer and then the bracket will be installed under the dash so I can start mocking up the column.
All the parts are in very nice condition and will be reused or modified to be used.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is online now   Reply With Quote