View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 12:10 PM   #59
scootermcrad

Re: 283 and a Slight Hop Up

Hey guys! Sorry for the absence. I do have an update. I'm finally getting around to this. Mostly I've just been collecting parts and putting out other fires in my life.

I pulled the engine apart yesterday and overall it didn't look too bad, just a little sludgy. Cylinders will need a clean up pass in each and Power Pak heads are in great shape. Didn't drop the crank yet. Crossing my fingers there's no surprises. I know the history of the engine and wouldn't expect any.

I have done a lot of thinking about how this truck will be used. I've pretty much decided not to worry too much about doing any kind of heavy towing with this truck. Maybe the occasional small trailer, but nothing serious. Going to stick to whatever I can fit in the bed, which would be gravel, dirt, lumber, etc., within it's limits. The truck will end up being daily driver capable, and still going for that late 60's vibe.

I've collected a handful of parts for the build, already. Edelbrock Performer intake and carb (I think it's a 1406. Need to look again), original Mr. Gasket C10 full headers (thanks to my good buddy Kasey!). I may have already mentioned the TH200-4R. That too.

I've decided that I'm going to just stick with the Power Pak heads. I have them, they're complete and in good shape for rebuilding, and it doesn't seem like there's a huge advantage for me to swap to 305 heads for the final plans I have for the engine.

Definitely going to do a cam swap, since I'm going to be in there. I like the feedback I've hard on Summit's cam and lifter kits. I'm thinking the 1102 or maybe even an 1103, if the stock rear gearing will be a decent match for the setup. Any repercussions to stock pistons, stock valve springs, or any other considerations for these cams?

For the distributor, I'm thinking of keeping the stock type dizzy and installing a Pertronix conversion. Seems like they work well, priced well, can keep the stock style, and would handle anything I would be throwing at it.

So that's where I'm at! Time to get the rest torn down and reach out to some machinist contacts for block and head work.

Last edited by scootermcrad; 07-30-2017 at 12:17 PM.
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote