View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Re: Rocker box pictures

C`mon guys,if you don`t know what you are talking about please listen to those that do.Just because you`ve been hearing parts called the wrong name doesn`t mean when you hear the right name it`s wrong.How can anyone help if no one listens?This board was made great and will continue to be by being a friendly place where we all can learn what we don`t know from those that do.If improper terminology goes unchecked it will destroy the point of different names for different items and no one will know what the other is saying.We all have names,right?When we`re in a crowd it helps narrow down who is being addressed by using the proper name.
The unigue to full top K/5s(remember Jimmys?) part who`s purpose is to give reienforcement to compensate for the strength lost when going topless is known as a torsion box.That`s what they are,were,and always will be.
Vtblazer "has" been inside a rocker box and so have I,as well as torsion boxes.I consider them a part of the floor structure (stiffener).They aren`t an outer body piece.A pickup or Blazer can have rotted rocker boxes w/o effecting the structure.Once the torsion boxes get soft your doors start moving.I`ve seen restored K/5s with no torsion boxes.That`s fine as long as the top stays on and minimal body twist.The top will crack in any serious off road action with the t-boxes gone.Some of us can vouche for that.
so,as said above from the outside in:
Outter rocker
Inner rocker
Torsion box

Can we all agree to agree?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote