View Single Post
Old 09-16-2019, 03:26 AM   #62
daveshilling

Re: 1958 Apache Big Window Loooooong Bed "Lucky"

***Quarterly Update****

I got the frame shortening done and welded on a plate, and it was on to the Flatout IRS.

Notching the Frame

I wanted the kit to sit higher, and since I have a taller frame than the shortbeds, I had some room to work with and did a notch/pancake sort of hybrid on the frame. This gave me some extra real estate to mount the IRS up as far as it can go without raising the bed. I think it looks better than just a regular notch. Safer? meh.

Raising the IRS Kit

I got the IRS kit from Don, and trimmed the batwing mounts so they no longer mounted under the frame (like an L) , only on the side. (Like an I)

Then I moved everything up as far as possible, clamped, measured, remeasured, reremeasured, started over, clamped, rereremeasured, drilled, and bolted everything up.

I had my whole family hop on the frame to simulate the weight of a shortbed, and lemme tell ya, those springs hardly budged. 400# might be a bit stiff, but I think I'm okay with that... should be fun to drive!

Crossmember problem-solving

Since the crossmember never fit in the first damn place (longbed problems) I went ahead and figured out how to have my cake and eat it too... narrow the frame height and fit the plates OVER the top and bottom, instead of between. I had to round the edges of the frame so the plate would sit more flush, but not much.

positioned the crossmember like 50 times and got it drilled and bolted. Now I just need to make a new mount that goes down to the rear end.

I can't keep up with Kevin_C, he has already gotten his kit installed and powdercoated, even after getting hit by a car! If you can do it, I better hurry my ass up.

Granted, I DID buy another 59 pickup to leave all stock and fart around town while I built Lucky the Trucky, but that is now ending up as a flip, so no build thread for that one. Rebuilt the carb, replaced teh gas tank, fuel pump, a bunch of hokey wiring, and slapped a chevy grill on there... found a rear main leak I dont have time to deal with so she's up for sale! And I'm back on track!

daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote