View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 AM   #34
JW76

Re: 86 C10 Trailing Arm Conversion

So, here is some food for thought I guess. Talking do you guys I realized I didn't know quite as mush as I thought so I started doing some homework. I did a search for some suspension design info and read through a lot of it. I looked at the HRH kits again, too and what other people have done with trailing arms on their trucks within this forum. I learned a lot but am confused too.

HRH sets their vehicles up almost identical to NASCAR. They install the trailing arms almost level with only a slight maybe 6 inches of pitch to the crossmember. They use screw jacks and coils for easy adjustment. For the panhard, they attach to either the drivers side axle tube above where the trailing arm connects or they catch the trailing arm then they anchor it on the right side frame rail with an adjustable mount with maybe 4-5 inches of vertical adjustment. They then set the panhard bar so that it is level at ride height. The panhard seems to run horizontal right along the axle tubes. This setup seems to work perfect form them allowing them to adjust to run drag, drift, or road courses.

Reading some other articles I read that the panhard should run at an angle with the center of the panhard crossing the differential, or that the panhard can be over the axle running parallel to it.

Also, I've read that having the trailing arms flatter will increase traction without pulling the front end off the ground and that the more angle you get, the more it wants to squat the rear end and lift the front.

Also, when I mentioned putting the crossmember under the frame, it makes my geometry identical to that of the HRH truck. I intend to keep my 15 inch wheels and can only afford to drop the truck in the back about 3 inches or so so with that drop it gives me identical geometry to the HRH truck which the owner of HRH swears by.

All together, this is a bit confusing.

Here are a few pictures and diagrams i looked found
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote