View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #103
Mike_82_Shortbox

Re: 2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairlesshobo View Post
For reference sake, this is the gauge that I am using: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...id=129&catid=5

Even though I didn't have much room to work when I tried to look at my alignment yesterday, I was in fact able to try out the gauge and get a feel for how it works. I re-read the directions that came with the gauge about 10 times before starting. It appears that the brakes don't need to be locked when doing an alignment with the bubble style gauge. I assume this is because when you do your 40* sweep, you sweep out first, rotate the gauge until it is level with the ground and set caster to 0*, then sweep past center to 20* inward and rotate the gauge again to be level with the ground. With this in mind, they expect you to rotate the gauge when setting caster so if the tire were to roll a little, it wouldn't make much of a difference because you have to re level the gauge each time anyways.

I still think it's a wise choice to lock the e-brake anyways just to make sure it doesn't try to slip off the turn plates or anything like that.

Just my thoughts about this, but who knows.. I may be completely wrong, won't be the first time.

-Steve
Steve,

Looks like you got it. The releveling of the guage is the equivalent to locking the brakes on an electronic machine it seems, so if you go by the instructions, you should be fine. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Mike
Mike_82_Shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote