View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 01:17 AM   #10
stangtjk

Re: Motorized Rocker Panels

I sketched out a rough outline of the cross sections of the bottom of the door, outer rocker, inner rocker/floor and rocker box to adjust the design to fit. The model of the generic window motor I grabbed off grabcad looks bigger than what a window motor should. Not sure how accurate its dimensions are but I'll compare with the miata motors when they get here.

I originally tried keeping everything but the motor between the inner and outer rocker but it wasn't working out that great as the top of the step would have only been about 1-3/4" wide. So I'll be making a pocket in the inner rocker give room for a wider step. The top of the step in the image below is about 2 3/4" wide but I'll play around a bit more to see what I can gain. Would like to get close to 4" but its looking like 3 1/4" might be the limit without cutting into the rocker box.

More tweaking to do. One advantage to using a pocket is the assembly can be all put together off the truck and mounted all at once. Not exactly a bolt on mod but close as it'll get for being completely hidden.
Attached Images

stangtjk is offline   Reply With Quote